The Qantas Group has received nine medals at this year’s Cellars in the Sky Awards, the most of any airline group, including a Gold award for Best First Class Sparkling and Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert wine.
Qantas is the only to be airline awarded the Best First Class Sparkling for five consecutive years.
We pride ourselves on showcasing the diversity and quality of Australian wine, from the iconic drops that form the very base of Australia’s great winemaking legacy to the latest wines made by boutique winemakers.
Qantas invests over $15 million dollars in the Australian Wine industry every year, sourcing more than 250 different wines from more than 150 different producers.
Around 300 cabin crew have completed the Sommelier in the Sky program, with a goal for an additional 100 Sommeliers by the end of the year. The Qantas Sommeliers in the Sky training takes elements from formal wine education programs and equips cabin crew with appropriate wine knowledge to communicate to customers.
Qantas Frequent Flyers can purchase quality Australian wines while earning Qantas Points through Qantas epiQure, the online wine community providing members with the opportunity to purchase wine from our award winning wine cellar and invitations to dinners with globally renowned chefs.
The Cellars in the Sky Awards have been running since 1985, recognising the best red, white, sparkling and fortified and dessert wine served in the air.
• Best First Class Sparkling – Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, 2000, France
• Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert- Baileys of Glenrowan, Founder Series Classic Muscat, NV, Australia
• Best Overall Wine Cellar
• Best First Class White Wine – Delatite Riesling 2006, Mansfield, Central Victoria
• Best First Class Cellar
• Best Presented Wine list
• Best Business Class Wine Cellar
• Best Business Class White Wine – De Bortoli Yarra Valley Estate Grown Chardonnay 2012, Victoria
• Best Business Class White Wine – The Ned Sauvignon Blanc 2013, Waihopai River, Marlborough, New Zealand
oneworld also retained the Gold Medal for Best Airline Alliance for in-flight wines for the sixth year in a row.